Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Just checking in

Apparently, there is at least one person out there who reads this blog, besides me. I'm taking that as a very positive thing, because, well, I just think it's cool that someone would subscribe to this. Thank you. :)

But there are bigger things going on in the word, FAR bigger things that what Mike decides to write about in his blog. For one, our friend Ashley has been taken from us. The Twitter community is where a lot of us met Ashley and got to know her - 140 characters at a time. Some of the links off of the site above are wonderfully written. I'm new to social media. I'm a user, not a creator, and I'm not trying to make a living at it. It fascinates me. And at times like this it amazes me. The Twitter community rallied to raise over $7,000 in less than a week to help the family that Ashley left behind. Amazing. Encouraging.

But the ramble continues... Ok, my boss said he'd call in 20 minutes an hour and a half ago. I guess I'll hang another fifteen minutes or so. No pressure on my time tonight. Thought I'd do some personal e-mail at this hour, and well, with MacWorld in the background today (ok, foreground for some of you - just background noise for me), this topic came up, so I wrote it in my e-mail:
Just saw your tweets on/re: iTunes movie rentals. I'll be interested to see how that plays out. When NBC Universal pulled their material from iTunes and moved it over to Hulu, that really frustrated me. I was watching all of my TV series on iTunes last year. This year? Even before the strike, nearly nothing. Turns out that most of the shows I was interested in were on NBC. Studios have got to let go of exclusive deals, and push distribution channels (iTunes, Hulu, Walmart, Netflix, whatever) to compete on features/service and not just on exclusivity.
Call me a fan of the Writer's Strike (and I'm no fan of unions, believe you me). Big Media is languishing and like big government, can't figure out how to grow a good thing. They try to keep all of the money for themselves (or take it, in the case of the government).

Ok, that should suffice for thoughts on that. Maybe I will just go over to the Apple Store in The Domain and take a sip of Steve's Coolaide.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. waaaaaaaait... it tells you when someone is subscribed? well hell... so much for stalking incognito! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more than one...

    ;)

    I totally agree about Big Media. But they don't want to accept that the media culture has changed, with or without them. Worked in newspaper advertising for 5 years. Watched it go into the tubes, and their answer was "Increase Prices". Subscriber rates were at a 10 year low, and they were increasing prices like it was nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete